At this time of year, you might spend lots of time shopping for just the right gift for everyone on your list. But what about you?
Have you ever considered giving yourself a gift? Today’s post has the perfect plan for giving back to the only person who will be with you at every moment and can support you best of all. And it’s not one of those store bought gifts, either. It’s one from your heart.
A Special Gift to Give Yourself
- Purchase or make a pretty card for yourself.
- Address the inside of the card to yourself by name.
- In the white space, write ” My gift to you is” followed by one self care thing you plan to include in your life on a regular basis. Pick something you have not already managed to make routine. It could be taking a daily walk, making a green drink, meditating, taking a yoga class, doing daily stretching. The sky’s the limit. Make it something you know would benefit your health and well being and just hasn’t been given the priority it deserves.
- Sign the card from you.
- Put the card in an envelope and address it to YOU.
- Put the card with the gifts you plan to give away and open it at the appropriate time.
- Surprise!!! Follow Through with Joy!
You deserve to be healthy, happy and whole.
Make a commitment to do it NOW.
Holiday Recipes for You
If you haven’t already decided on your holiday menu, consider adding these recipes. Perhaps instead of being tempted by the traditional mashed potatoes and gravy loaded with gluten, dairy and processed fats you’ll enjoy my mashed potato recipe made with cauliflower and loaded with cancer fighting and hormone balancing phytochemicals and mushroom gravy made with immune boosting mushrooms.
These recipes variations of recipes in my eBook Healthy Holiday Traditions, which is loaded with recipes for the holidays including the familiar holiday favorites like gingerbread cookies, latkes and “egg” nog, apple pie, Christmas cookies, pumpkin pie and so much more
Herbed Mashed “Potatoes”
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, cashews, or a combination of both
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups corn (fresh, or frozen and thawed) or 1 1/2 cups zucchini, peeled
- 1 scallion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or amount to taste
- Break cauliflower into 2-inch chunks and chop in food processor with “S” blade until grainy.
- Put corn or zucchini in blender and process until smooth. Add water if necessary, but only enough to result in a smooth, creamy blend. It should be relatively thick.
- Add nuts and lemon juice to blender and process until smooth. Add water only if necessary. This mixture should be thick and creamy.
- Add the blender mixture to the cauliflower in the food processor and process until well combined, but not completely smooth. It should have a bit of texture, like mashed potatoes.
- Place in serving bowl and serve as-is (mixture should be warm from the processing) or put entire mixture into baking dish and place in dehydrator for 2 hours to warm through.
- Serve right away. The taste is best if served shortly after preparing (it changes after refrigeration).
- Optional: Add flax oil, salt and pepper to taste, and minced herbs just before serving. Top with mushroom gravy.
Personal Note: This is a slightly modified version of the recipe on page 24 of Healthy Holiday Traditions: Nourishing Recipes for Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s Celebrations by Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts or almonds, soaked for 6 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, or 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried mushrooms, ground to a powder, or 1/2 cup fresh brown mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Make this just before serving so that it’s warm.
Personal Note: This recipe is from page 25 of Healthy Holiday Traditions: Nourishing Recipes for Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s Celebrations by Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo.
Are you feeling stuck?
Do you feel as if something is missing from your practice that's keeping you from delivering breakthrough outcomes for your clients?.
Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training (NEPT)
The Mastery and Certification tier is our flagship program and provides everything you need to feel confident as a practitioner who knows how to get results that lead to healthy and happy clients.
Functional Assessment Mastery
Explore the relationships between the most important hormones and their relationship with nutrition.
Functional Nutrition Mastery
Learn how to support your clients to eat and supplement in a way that reduces and eliminates chronic symptoms.
Medical Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, drritamarie.com, and the experts who have contributed. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Disclosure: Sometimes (but not always), when I share resources in my programs, newsletter, and on my website, I'm using an affiliate link, which means I do make money if you buy. My credibility is extremely important to me; therefore, I only endorse the products, services, and people I believe in. DrRitamarie.com is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are my own.