If the scent of popcorn makes you absolutely weak in the knees, you are human.
Before I started my health journey, I used to love movie theater popcorn coated in butter and all of that salt- with a side of M&Ms.
While popcorn is technically a whole grain, there are few reasons I don’t recommend it:
- consuming whole grains can spike your blood sugar, leading to energy crashes, cravings, and fat storage
- it’s usually coated oil (or fake butter!) and heated, which oxidizes the fats and leads to inflammation
- corn is a top allergen and food sensitivity that can lead to inflammation in your gut and throughout your body
My cauliflower popcorn hits to spot for a salty snack without the accompanying blood sugar crash, fatigue, and cravings.
- 2 heads of cauliflower (sectioned into florets – don’t make them too small)
- 1/4 teaspoon good quality salt
- 2 Tablespoons good quality oil, like cold-pressed olive oil
- Nutritional yeast
- Place the florets in a large bowl, sprinkle on the salt, and mix with your hands, making sure that a uniform mixture is spread over the cauliflower.
- Drizzle the oil over the florets, and mix again with your hands, massaging them for full coverage.
- Now start sprinkling the nutritional yeast over the top, and start mixing that in with your hands.
- Keep sprinkling in nutritional yeast and mixing with your hands. You will want a thick covering on your cauliflower.
- If you have a dehydrator, you can lay the cauliflower onto your dehydrator screens. Start your dehydrating temperature for 145 degrees for the first 20-30 minutes, then turn it down to 110 degrees and dehydrate for 10-12 hours.
This is just one version. Just like there are many types of popcorn, there can be many types of cauliflower popcorn. If you want a more savory taste, add some rosemary or thyme to your mixture. If you want a sweeter taste, you can add some stevia. Play with it!
If you want more blood sugar-balancing recipes like this one, please check out my guide here: http://www.hormonehackingbreakfastmenus.com/
Are you feeling stuck?
Do you feel as if something is missing from your practice that's keeping you from delivering breakthrough outcomes for your clients?.
Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training (NEPT)
The Mastery and Certification tier is our flagship program and provides everything you need to feel confident as a practitioner who knows how to get results that lead to healthy and happy clients.
Functional Assessment Mastery
Explore the relationships between the most important hormones and their relationship with nutrition.
Functional Nutrition Mastery
Learn how to support your clients to eat and supplement in a way that reduces and eliminates chronic symptoms.
Medical Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, drritamarie.com, and the experts who have contributed. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Disclosure: Sometimes (but not always), when I share resources in my programs, newsletter, and on my website, I'm using an affiliate link, which means I do make money if you buy. My credibility is extremely important to me; therefore, I only endorse the products, services, and people I believe in. DrRitamarie.com is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are my own.