I was experimenting with making delicious alternatives to the typical candy treats that people become addicted to. I wanted something that tasted decadently delicious and was also gluten and dairy free, low glycemic, nutritious and safe even for diabetics. Here’s what I came up with. They are similar to “Mounds” bars, which I used to love as a kid.
They are low-glycemic, raw, and quick and easy to make, as well as bursting with flavor and blood-sugar-balancing nutrients.
This is how I made them. Feel free to substitute for the ingredients you have on hand, and comment with your version below.
For more recipes like this, join our VITAL Health Community.
- 1 cup Artisana coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 10 drops stevia or 1/8 tsp green powdered stevia (or to taste. My husband wanted them to be a little sweeter, I liked them as is.)
- About a handful of shredded coconut (adjust to your liking)
- 1 cup cacao paste melted in the dehydrator (you can substitute cacao powder with cacao or coconut butter)
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- 10 drops chocolate or other flavored stevia, or erythritol, inulin, or other low-glycemic sweetener
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the coconut butter, coconut oil, shredded coconut, and stevia. Adjust to your desired sweetness.
- Put in a silicon mold of your desired shape and allow to harden in the freezer (about 15 minutes). If you don’t have molds, pour into a parchment-lined baking dish and cut to desired shapes when partially hardened (they will tend to be irregular in shape)
- Combine the melted cacao, coconut oil, and sweetener in a medium-sized bowl. Once the coconut mixture you put in the freezer is hardened, remove from the freezer and dip into the chocolate mixture.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and place back into the freezer until hardened. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.
These are sure to delight your family, as well as satisfy your sweet tooth!
Next time I make them I will experiment with adding therapeutic herbs to them. I bet they would be great with cordyceps.
I would appreciate your comments! Thank you!
Are you feeling stuck?
Do you feel as if something is missing from your practice that's keeping you from delivering breakthrough outcomes for your clients?.
Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training (NEPT)
The Mastery and Certification tier is our flagship program and provides everything you need to feel confident as a practitioner who knows how to get results that lead to healthy and happy clients.
Functional Assessment Mastery
Explore the relationships between the most important hormones and their relationship with nutrition.
Functional Nutrition Mastery
Learn how to support your clients to eat and supplement in a way that reduces and eliminates chronic symptoms.
Medical Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, drritamarie.com, and the experts who have contributed. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Disclosure: Sometimes (but not always), when I share resources in my programs, newsletter, and on my website, I'm using an affiliate link, which means I do make money if you buy. My credibility is extremely important to me; therefore, I only endorse the products, services, and people I believe in. DrRitamarie.com is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are my own.