Weight loss is a goal for so many people I consult with. I actually encourage my clients to stop referring to losing weight and move towards thinking about letting go of weight or dropping weight or releasing weight. When I lose something, I usually intend to find it. When you talk about losing weight, your subconscious gets the message that you’ve been parted from something dear to you and makes every effort to help you find it again. So your language can actually be working against you when you talk about weight loss.
Tom and I havd a lively and informative chat about how your immune system and hormones can be preventing you from achieving your ideal weight, even if you’re eating light and exercising.
A few highlights from our conversation:
- When you’re stressed, your adrenals secrete the hormone cortisol goes up and DHEA goes down, leading to increased insulin production and fat accumulation around your waist
- Very low calorie diets inhibit the enzyme that converts the thyroid hormone T4 to the active form, T3, thus decreasing your metabolism and causing you to gain weight rather than lose it.
- As men age, the hormone testosterone decreases and more of their testosterone gets converted to estrogen, which naturally slows fat burning , as a part of facilitating fat storage in preparation for fertility, birth and lactation.
- High levels of insulin, released when you eat sugar and many high carbohydrate foods, can actually suppress growth hormone and lead to increased fat storage.
- Eating close to bedtime suppresses your natural growth hormone surge at night, leading to increased fat storage.
The interview will air on February 11.
If you sign-up for the FREE Premier Summit event, ” Dozens of Easy, Proven Ways to Lose Weight… and Keep It Off” , you’ll get access to my interview and 19 others related to weight management.
Are you feeling stuck?
Do you feel as if something is missing from your practice that's keeping you from delivering breakthrough outcomes for your clients?.
Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training (NEPT)
The Mastery and Certification tier is our flagship program and provides everything you need to feel confident as a practitioner who knows how to get results that lead to healthy and happy clients.
Functional Assessment Mastery
Explore the relationships between the most important hormones and their relationship with nutrition.
Functional Nutrition Mastery
Learn how to support your clients to eat and supplement in a way that reduces and eliminates chronic symptoms.
Medical Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, drritamarie.com, and the experts who have contributed. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Disclosure: Sometimes (but not always), when I share resources in my programs, newsletter, and on my website, I'm using an affiliate link, which means I do make money if you buy. My credibility is extremely important to me; therefore, I only endorse the products, services, and people I believe in. DrRitamarie.com is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are my own.